Bismarck State College is required by law to provide the IRS and the student a 1098T tuition statement. Included on the statement is the student’s social security number for tax purposes. Providing your social security number to BSC will avoid possible penalties from the IRS.
Also, if you are completing the FAFSA application, a social security number is required on the federal application to receive your federal grants and loans. In order for BSC to receive your federal information and begin the awarding process a social security number needs to be on file.
Students who do not have a social security number on file may submit their social security number (SSN) or student identification number (ITIN) via the Taxpayer Identification Number Request form and will not be required to provide a copy of the signed social security card.
Steps for adding a Social Security Number:
These steps should only be used by students who do NOT have a social security number on file with BSC. If a SSN is already on file, but is incorrect, see steps for submission under Update Social Security Number.
Complete one of the following options:
Option #1: Complete the Taxpayer Identification Number Request Form
(NDUS Username & Password Required)
*Failure to submit both documents at the same time will result in the request not being processed and the documentation will not be retained.
- Submit a clear copy of your updated and signed Social Security Card AND a clear copy of a Government Issued Photo Identification* (Driver's License, State ID, Commercial Driver's License, Concealed Carry Permit, US Military ID, Passport, TWIC Federal Issued ID).
- Include your contact information (email and phone number) and Student ID number
- Submit a copy of your Social Security Card and a Government issued Photo Identification* to:
- In Person: Academic Records Office, 1st Floor Schafer Hall
- Fax: (701) 224-5643
- Bismarck State College
Attn: Academic Records Office
PO Box 5587
Bismarck, ND 58506-5587
- Electronic Submission (Encrypted)