Employee Benefits at BSC
There are a number of advantages to being part of our community: Our students are talented. Our alumni are engaged. Campus buzzes with excitement.
BSC is large enough to provide a comprehensive, competitive benefits package, yet small enough that each individual’s skills and talent contribute to the College’s overall success. We provide excellent opportunities for professional growth and career development in a comfortable, student-centered environment.
Annual leave accrues at eight hours a month for the first 3 years, 10 hours in the 4th through 7th years, 12 hours in the 8th through 12th years, 14 hours in the 13th through 18th years and at 16 hours over 18 years of service. (North Dakota University System policy 6). Eligible upon employment.
Sick leave, including maternity and family illnesses, is a benefit granted by the institution to staff employees and is not a benefit considered to be earned by the employee. It is an insurance benefit allowing employees to build a reserve of days they can use for extended illnesses. Leave accrues at the rate of eight hours for each month of service with unlimited accumulation. (NDUS Policy 7). Eligible upon employment.
BSC employees receive 10 paid holidays a year (New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, President's Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas). (NDUS Policy 19). Eligible upon employment.
In case of death in the immediate family of an employee or spouse, employees are given up to 24 working hours paid time off to make arrangements and attend funeral. (NDUS Policy 20). Eligible upon employment.
Provided by ND Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) and administered by Sanford Health, medical premiums are paid in full for single or family coverage. Provides group hospital, surgical, and medical protection. Enrollment must take place within 30 days of hire date to receive waiver of existing medical condition. Eligible upon employment and coverage starts the first day of the month after employment date.
The College provides $7,000 term insurance. Additional term life insurance (up to $400,000) for the employee can be purchased. Spouse and dependent coverage is available at group rates. Eligible upon employment and coverage starts the first day of the month after employment date.
State Life Insurance
Employees under the TIAA retirement plan are provided long term disability insurance under the Standard Insurance Company. Provides income to employees who are unable to perform job duties because of long term illness or accident. Eligible upon employment.
Long Term Disability Insurance
Office, Technical/Paraprofessional, Crafts & Trades and Service employees are covered under the ND Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) plan. The College contributes 12.26% of the employee's salary; the employee contributes 3%. Annual retirement benefits are based on pay and years of service. Normal retirement benefits at age 65. Death benefit for beneficiary. Eligible upon employment.
Administrative, Professional and Faculty staff are eligible for the Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association (TIAA) retirement plan. The employee contributes at 3.5%, 4.5%, or 5%, depending on years employed, and is matched by the College at 7.5%, 12.5%, or 13%. Retirement benefits based on contributions and age at retirement. Eligible upon employment.
Paid by college and employee. Retirement benefits based on current social security regulation. (U.S. Social Security Administration - http://www.socialsecurity.gov). Eligible upon employment.
Employees are protected by Workforce Safety Insurance against accidental injuries or occupationally incurred illnesses in the performance of their job duties. (NDUS Policy 8). Eligible upon employment.
Workforce Safety Insurance
An employee shall be allowed leave with pay for jury or other legal duty when subpoenaed for such service. Any compensation received for such duty may be retained by the employee. (NDUS Policy 20: Other Paid Leave) Eligible upon employment.
The library, open to the public and employees, is a member of Online Dakota Information Network (ODIN), a statewide library network linking many ND libraries. Eligible upon employment.
A catastrophic illness or injury can force an employee to exhaust all accrued leave. The Leave Sharing Program is a pool of sick or annual leave hours, donated by State employees, which can be awarded to eligible employees who exhaust their paid leave. (NDUS Policy 20: Other Paid Leave)
Leave Sharing Program
Allows employees the opportunity to pay for medical and dependent care expenses with tax-free wage dollars instead of paying them with after-tax dollars. The plan is administered through ASI Flex. Eligible first of the month following employment date.
All benefited employees shall be eligible for tuition waivers/tuition assistance for continuing education subject to the limits and regulations in the Tuition Waiver/Assistance Policy. A 50% tuition waiver for approved for-credit undergraduate classes offered by and taught at Bismarck State College is available to the spouse and/or dependents of a BSC benefited employee subject to the limits and regulations in the Tuition Waiver for Spouse/Dependents of BSC Employees.
Bismarck State College Foundation will provide a tuition scholarship to spouse, domestic partners and/or children of any benefited BSC employee. The scholarship amounts are based on academic history. Contact the Foundation office for specific guidelines and an application. Must be actively employed in a benefited position on the first day of each semester.
This service is free and confidential. Employees are allowed eight sessions per year, per issue, per eligible family member. This service allows employees the opportunity to talk to professionals trained to help with drug/alcohol assessments, marital or family concerns, 24/7 crisis line, financial counseling, emotional and behavioral concerns, work-related problems, etc. EAP Website.
Employee Assistance Program
EAP Informational Brochure
Available at Employee's Expense
Supplemental Insurance Policies through AFLAC
AFLAC Insurance policies are available for purchase for employees and their family. This would be accomplished through payroll deductions. Options include Cancer, Accident, Critical Illness and Short-Term Disability. Eligible upon employment and coverage starts the first day of the month after enrollment date.
Dental and vision coverage for the employee and their family can be purchased. This would be accomplished through payroll deductions. Eligible upon employment.
Dental & Vision Insurance
BSC has repeatedly been named one of Bismarck-Mandan's Best Places to Work by North Dakota Young Professionals Network.
Additional Work Life Opportunities
- Employee training and development opportunities
- Telecommuting opportunities
- Flexible work schedules and summer hours
- Internal promotions and recruitment
- Faculty and Staff Awards of Excellence - monetary awards given to employees for outstanding contributions to BSC
- Jack Fellowship - monetary award given to one employee per year to underwrite the salary and/or expenses to engage in an educational experience that ultimately benefits BSC and its students.
- Professional Development Grants Program
- Years of Service Awards-employees receive service awards and certificates beginning with five years of service, and are honored with each five-year increment. Dollar amounts of the service awards are determined by the number of years of service.
- Discount of 25% (30% if using mystic dollars) at the BSC Bookstore.
- With Employee ID, employees will receive 20% off regular priced meals at Mystic Marketplace. Other exclusions apply, contact BSC Food Service for details.
- Free admittance to some BSC events (i.e. music concerts, sporting events, etc.)
- Flexible staff dress code and $1 contribution to various charities on Fridays
- Discounted movie tickets for Grand and Carmike Theaters available for purchase from the Council of State Employees (COSE).
- Discounts to local businesses available to state employees through Council of State Employees (COSE).
- Discount program for Delta Airlines.
- BSC employees are eligible to purchase Microsoft Office to install and use on their home computer for $20.00-$25.00. Can be used as long as employed at BSC.
- Free lunches sponsored by Board of Governors and other groups
- Free ice cream every Wednesday and Friday at the Student Union
- Policies ensuring a safe environment - Emergency Procedure Guide
- Wellness Programs: ND PERS Wellness Program, "A Healthy BSC Community" and "Building a Healthy North Dakota"
- Fitness center and tennis courts available for employee use.
BSC is a Tobacco-Free Campus