Bismarck State College
About BSC Academics Athletics Campus Connection Campus Life Continuing Education, Training & Innovation Employment Energy Online Campus
Current Students
Current Students Home Print
BSC Home  >>  Current Students  >>  Financial Aid  >>  Financial Aid FAQ

Question Mark

Will I be offered more financial aid the earlier I fill out the FAFSA?
Your financial aid award will be based on the information provided on the FAFSA, NOT the date of your application. There are a few aid programs that do request you have your FAFSA completed by the priority funding date of April 15 in order to be considered for eligibility.

What qualifies as a "dependent" student?
    Under the age of 24
    If you are under the age of 18 and have a child, while living under your parents care
    If you have a child, but pay child support and still live under your parents care

What qualifies as an "independent" student?
    If you are over the age of 24
    Have a child
    If you are an orphan or ward of the court
    If you are a Veteran of the Armed Forces

What if my parents are divorced?
You will only have to provide information about the parent you lived with the most in the last year. If you lived with both parents for an equal amount of time in the last year, provide information about the parent who provided the most financial support to you. If that parent has remarried, you will need to report parents' marital status as "married" on the FAFSA and provide income and asset information for your stepparent also.

Where can I find more information about PELL Grants?
A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. The maximum Pell Grant award for 2014-2015 is $5,730.  The amount students receive is dependent on their financial need.

I have filed my taxes. Should I complete my FAFSA immediately?
Once you have filed your taxes, you will need to wait approximately two to three weeks if you filed electronically, or six to eight weeks if you filed by mail to complete the FAFSA. You will not be able to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if you try to complete the FAFSA immediately after filling.

What is the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
With this tool, students and parents will be able to transfer their Federal Tax Information straight from their tax returns to the FAFSA.
You must meet three criterias:
    Must have a valid Social Security card
    Must have filed your Federal Tax Return
    Must not have changed you marital status since December 31

Does it matter how many credits I am enrolled in to receive financial aid?
Yes.  More information is available under BSC Enrollment Status.

Can I pay for my books with my financial aid?
Yes.  Students who are in good standing and have a completed financial aid file have the ability to charge books against their excess financial aid. Excess financial aid is considered to be your total accepted financial aid less your student account balance. More information can be found here.

Connect: Social Life TwitterFacebookYouTubeRSSiTunesMerit
Accessibility   |   Campus Security   |   Copyright Act   |   Disclaimer   |   NDUS   |   Privacy Policy
Bismarck State College, P.O. Box 5587, 1500 Edwards Avenue, Bismarck, ND 58506     701-224-5400  ::   800-445-5073